Just a friendly Reminder- Two days left to purchase a discharge permit for $15.00 from the City’s Clerk’s office located at 110 W. Aztec. City offices will be closed Friday July 3rd.
Please use extreme caution when handling consumer fireworks. The American Pyrotechnics Association has outlined key safety tips for consumers:
• TAKE PRECAUTIONS. Always keep a hose and a bucket of water nearby in case of emergencies.
• LIGHT ONE AT A TIME. NEVER light two or more sparkling devices at the same time.
• KEEP IT OUTSIDE. Only use fireworks and sparklers outdoors on flat, hard surfaces like concrete in clear areas and away from houses, buildings and dry grass.
• HAVE ADULT SUPERVISION. NEVER allow young children to light or handle fireworks or sparklers. Adults should always be present when lighting or handling fireworks or sparklers.
• STAY ALERT. NEVER mix alcohol or other substances with fireworks or sparklers.
• STAY CLEAR. NEVER hold a lit firework in your hand. Keep as far from them as possible when lighting.
• LET SLEEPING FIREWORKS LIE. NEVER try to relight fireworks or sparklers that do not ignite. Wait 15 to 20 minutes before approaching them, then soak them with water and throw them away.
• PROTECT YOUR PETS. Animals are often frightened by the sounds of fireworks. Protect your "best friends" by keeping them indoors, secure and away from the loud, sudden noises. Individuals should check local and state laws and only purchase sparkling devices that are legally permitted.
For more information, contact the Prevention Office at 505-726-5448.
Have wonderful and safe 4th of July!