Meet our City Manager
Jon Michael (JM) DeYoung was born and raised in Gallup, NM, and attended the University of New Mexico for his undergraduate degree in Human Resources and graduate degree in Public Administration. In 2012, JM began employment with the City of Gallup after relocating from Montrose, Colorado. Well-connected in the state of New Mexico, JM serves on various boards and committees, including the New Mexico Self Insurance Fund Board of Trustees, New Mexico City Managers Association Board, Mainstreet, and Business Improvement District. Gallup has always been “home” for JM and his family; they love spending time outdoors and connecting with people.
Duties of a City Manager
Under Gallup’s council-manager form of government, the City Council appoints the city manager to act as the city's chief administrative officer. Subject to the provisions of the city charter, the city manager has the following duties and powers:
- Devote their entire time to discharge their official duties, prepare the agenda, and attend all council meetings unless excused by the mayor or council.
- Prepare the budget annually, submit it to the council, and be responsible for its administration after its adoption.
- Prepare and submit to the council, at the end of each fiscal year, a complete report of the finances and administrative activities of the city for the preceding year.
- Keep the council advised at all times of financial conditions and future needs of the city.
- Employ and discharge all city employees pursuant to the city's personnel ordinance.