Building Permits

Building Permits are required for most types of construction work within the City.  Permits are not required for interior and exterior painting of residential structures, interior painting of commercial structures, minor landscaping, carpeting, tiling, cabinetry, counter tops, and roof mounted solar panels.

Permits are required for new commercial construction, new residential construction, structural additions and/or alterations, demolition, asphalt paving & overlay, excavation & grading, roofing and re-roofing, all storage sheds, signage, ground mounted solar panels, stuccoing, site development, fences, re-stuccoing, temporary events (firework stands, revival tents, etc.) and for the placement & transportation of manufactured homes. 



The City of Gallup Planning & Development Department is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (MST). You may drop off your completed permit application at our office. You may also submit your completed permit application via USPS or overnight carrier (FEDEX or UPS) by send it to the appropriate address below. All permit applications must be completed and accompanied by all required document prior to review commencing.

Physical Address

110 W. Aztec Avenue

Gallup, New Mexico 87301

Mail Address

Post Office Box 1270

Gallup, New Mexico 87305

**All permit applications must be completed and accompanied by all required document prior to review commencing.



All work located within the State or City right-of-way will need to contact the following entities

City of Gallup Public Works Department

110 West Aztec Avenue

Gallup, NM 87301

Phone: (505) 863-1290

Fax: (505) 726-2043

New Mexico Department of Transportation

1919 Pinon Drive

Milan, NM 87021


Toll Free: 1-800-361-3596



The City of Gallup does not issue mechanical, electrical or plumbing permits. You will need to obtain those permits through the New Mexico Construction Industries Division by contacting (505)476-4500. 

All work related to manufactured homes will need to be permitted through New Mexico Construction Industries – Manufactured Housing Division. Their contact number is (505)476-4500.



A Homeowner’s Building Permit Application is only issued according to NMAC Section, “Homeowner’s permits may be used by homeowner where the homeowner personally resides”. NMAC Section, “A homeowner’s permit may not be used to permit a project where a GB-2 or GB-98 contractor is acting as a general contractor on the project.” If you do not meet the homeowner’s permit requirements, please do not complete a Homeowner’s Permit Application.



Fees for all permits vary based on construction valuation.  Please refer to Resolution No. R2004-40 under the Building Permits - Applications & Information tab. 

Please contact for other inquiries regarding fees.



If you have any questions on the permitting process within the city of Gallup you may visit or contact our office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (MST) or contact us directly at (505) 863-1240.