Building and Construction
Below are a list of activities that are required to be permitted through the Planning & Development Department. If you have any questions relating to the permitting process please contact our department and our staff will assist you with this process, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (MST).
The following types of projects are examples of areas that require permits:
- New Construction – Residential or Commercial
- Additions to a Structure – Residential or Commercial
- Alterations or Repairs to a Structure – Residential or Commercial
- Minor Alterations – Residential or Commercial
- Stucco – Residential or Commercial
- All Fences
- New Sidewalks and Access Cuts (See Public Works)
- Excavation / Grading
- Asphalt / Overlay
- Re- Roof (Overlay & Tear Off) / Structural Roof Renovations
- Sign Permits
- Accessory Structures
SEALCOAT & RE-STRIPING
Please be advised that Planning & Development will no longer require a permit for sealcoat work and re-striping. It is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure they are in compliance with all ADA and City of Gallup parking and striping requirements. Please refer to the City of Gallup Land Development Standards for further information.
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATIONS
Obtaining a building permit requires a visit to the Planning and Development office in City Hall. However, it may be helpful to view our forms online to see what information will be requested concerning your particular project. Furthermore, depending on your project, a different type of application may be required. Please contact our department if you are not sure if your project requires a permit. It is important to remember that all mechanical, electrical and plumbing must be permitted through the NM Construction Industries Division.
You can download the following applications:
- Building Permit - Contractor's Application
- Building Permit - Homeowner's Application
- Building Permit - Re-Roof Application
- Building Permit - Sign Permit Application
- Extension Request Application - Permits or Temporary Certificates of Occupancy
OTHER BUILDING & CONSTRUCTION INFORMATION
- Current Building Permit Report Opens a New Window.
- 2020 Year to Date - Building Permit Report
- Building Permit Activity Report - 5 Year Comparison (2015 - 2019)
- Standard Drawings - Series 2400, July 2016
Opens a New Window.
If you have any questions on the permitting process or any related information building & construction within the city of Gallup you may visit of contact our office Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (MST) at (505) 863-1240.