City Attorney


The City Attorney is appointed by the City Council and serves as legal counsel to all municipal officials and departments in the course of their city business, drafting ordinances, and regulations, reviewing contracts and providing other legal advice. Curtis Hayes is the current City Attorney.

Can the City Attorney give legal advice or represent private citizens?

The Gallup City Attorney’s office cannot provide legal advice to or represent private citizens or residents. The City Attorney is the lawyer for the city government. Citizens requiring private legal advice need to consult a private attorney.

Where can I get help for other legal matters?

McKinley County
Criminal Prosecution
  • Legal Advice and Representation for private or personal legal matters
The New Mexico Bar Association: (505) 797-6000
  • Free or Affordable Legal Services in Civil Cases
New Mexico Legal Aid: (505) 722-4417
Disability Rights New Mexico: (800) 432-4682
Native American Disability Law Center: (505) 863-7455
Lawyer Referral for the Elderly Helpline: (800) 876-6657
Legal Assistance to Military Personnel: (800) 876-6227