Building and Construction

Important news for anyone wanting to apply for a permit with the City of Gallup. All construction must comply the 2015 International Building Code (IBC),  the 2015 International Residential Code (IRC) and the City of Gallup's Land Development Standards.

Permit Requirements

The following types of projects are examples of areas that require permits:
  • New Construction – Residential or Commercial
  • Additions to a Structure – Residential or Commercial
  • Alterations or Repairs to a Structure – Residential or Commercial
  • Minor Alterations – Residential or Commercial
  • Stucco – Residential or Commercial
  • Fences Greater than Four (4) Feet in Height
  • New Sidewalks and Access Cuts (See Public Works)
  • Demolition
  • Excavation / Grading 
  • Asphalt / Overlay / Sealcoat / Re-stripe
  • Re- Roof (Overlay & Tear Off) / Structural Roof Renovations
  • Sign Permits
  • Accessory Structures

Building Permit Forms

Obtaining a building permit requires a visit to the Planning and Development office in City Hall. However, it may be helpful to view our forms online to see what information will be requested concerning your particular project. Furthermore, depending on your project, a different type of application may be required. Please contact our department if you are not sure if your project requires a permit.  It is important to remember that all mechanical, electrical and plumbing must be permitted through the NM Construction Industries Division. 

You can download the following applications:

View City of Gallup Land Development Standards

Standard Drawings - Series 2400, July 2016

For More Information:
Planning and Development requires that setbacks from property lines be met. If you have any questions or need to find the specific setbacks for your zoning area, please call us at (505) 863-1240.